What to do if you have a Dispute or Complaint?
We are committed to providing our customers with the best possible service. If at any time we have not met our obligations – or you have a complaint about any of our services – please inform us so we can work towards a resolution. We will endeavour to deal with your complaint promptly, thoroughly and fairly.
How to make a Complaint & the Complaints Process?
If you need assistance in describing or making a complaint, or if you just want to discuss your concerns informally before deciding whether to make a complaint, please feel free to contact us.
Our Internal Dispute Resolution procedures are free of charge.
If you have a complaint, we would like to be the first to know if you are not happy with our services. We request you follow these steps:
1. Please contact our Client Relationship Manager, either verbally or in writing, using any of the following methods:
- By phone during business hours 03 9868 7500
- By fax: 03 9868 9600
- By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Please provide full contact details so we may respond to you quickly
3. Please give us as much detail as possible about the nature of your complaint and provide any documentation that supports your complaint so that we may deal with it as quickly as possible.
- Confirm receipt of your complaint within 48 hours and
- Endeavour to resolve your complaint within 30 days.
If your complaint is complex we will inform you of the delays and the likely resolution date.
Third Party Products or Services
If your complaint relates to a product or service acquired through a third party (for example, a lender) we may ask you to contact the relevant third party. They will deal with your complaint under their complaints resolution process.
If you are not satisfied with the resolution of your complaint by the third party under their Complaints Resolution Process, you are entitled to have your dispute considered by their External Dispute Resolution Scheme. Please contact the third party for further details.
Keeping you Informed
We will keep you informed at regular intervals about the progress of our investigations and response.
Still not satisfied?
If you do not think we have resolved your complaint to your satisfaction, you may take the matter – free of charge – to the relevant External Disputes Resolution Scheme (provided it is within the scheme’s terms of reference) as detailed below. You may also refer the matter to the relevant External Disputes Resolution Scheme at any time, but if our internal process is still in progress, they may request that our internal processes be complete before considering the matter further.
Our licensee’s external dispute resolution service provider is the Credit Ombudsman Service Limited, which can be contacted via:
- Phone: 1800 138 422
- Online complaint form: http://www.cosl.com.au/Make-a-complaint-intro
- Website: http://www.cosl.com.au
- Mail: PO Box A252, Sydney South NSW 1235
- Fax: (02) 9273 8440
Financial Ombudsman Service
The Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) provides free advice and assistance to consumers to help them in resolving complaints relating to members of the financial services industry, including life insurance companies, fund managers, financial advisers, stockbrokers, and investment advisers.
As a general rule, FOS can consider your dispute if the dollar value of your claim is within its jurisdictional limits of:
- $280,000 for life insurance
- $6,000 per month for income protection insurance (or more if the total payable is not more than $250,000)
- $150,000 for funds management, stockbroking, investment and financial advice
If you have any questions about whether your dispute can be heard by FOS, please call FOS on 1300 79 08 08.
FOS cannot assist you to resolve a complaint unless it has already been through Investor Direct’s internal enquiries and complaints procedure.
If your complaint is not dealt with to your satisfaction within 45 days, then you may have the right to lodge a complaint with FOS. Please note that Investors Direct may require up to 90 days to respond to your complaint, however, you must agree to this extension of time.
FOS can be contacted via:
- Phone: 1300 78 0808
- Fax: (03) 9613 6399
- Website: http://www.fos.org.au/
- Email: email@example.com
- Mail: Financial Ombudsman Service, GPO Box 3, Melbourne VIC 3001
Note: The Financial Industry Complaints Service (FICS) merged with FOS effective 1 July 2008.